The original Pembroke Cottage has stood by the side of a small country road near Hartley Wood in Hampshire, England for over 600 years. It was the new’ addition to a 13th century cruck hall. It was added sometime around 1450. The new addition has a thatched clasped purlin roof sitting on a box frame.
A chimney was added to the gable end.
The external wattle and daub panels were knocked out and replaced by brick infill. The open mullion windows were no longer required when the chimney was added and were concealed by the chimney.
The cottage now belongs to the Straitfield Saye estate owned by the Duke of Wellington. After World War II the cottage fell into a very bad state of repair.
During the autumn storms of 1994 the thatched roof collapsed in the bay connecting the two parts of the cottage. The cottage was restored in 1995-96 and is now occupied by a farming family of six.
In the Fall of 1996 Tom Musco of Royalston Oak Timber Frames lead a workshop that
raised a replica of Pembroke Cottage in the United States.